How often should my toddler see the doctor?
Outside of visits to the doctor for an illness, most toddlers tend to have regular checkups, also known as well-patient exams, at 1 year, 15 months, 18 months, 2 years, and 3 years of age. However, normal practice in your country may vary, so check with your health care professional to see what he or she advises.
If my child is healthy, does he really need to go for check ups?
Keeping to the schedule of checkups is important even if your child appears to be well. These visits provide an opportunity for the doctor to monitor whether your child is growing properly and a chance for you to discuss any concerns that you may have about your child's development.
These visits also typically coincide with the recommended schedule of immunizations. See Immunizations for more details.
What usually happens at a routine health checkup?
Practices may vary slightly in your doctor's office, but a routine exam typically includes
- Measurement of weight, height, and head circumference
- Evaluation of vision and hearing
- Assessment of physical and mental development. The doctor will both examine your child and ask you questions.
- Discussion about behavior, eating habits, general health
- Discussion about what to expect as your child develops over the coming months
- Discussion of any questions or concerns that you might have
- Possibly a blood, urine, or other test
How can nutrition affect my toddler's health?
While your toddler is making the transition to an adult diet, he must manage to obtain a full complement of nutrients that are crucial to his development.
As your toddler explores the world, he is also likely encountering more challenges to his immune system. Research has shown that certain nutrients, such as nucleotides and zinc, may help to promote a healthy immune system that resists chronic infections and disease.
Was this article helpful for you?
This article was helpful for 0 moms.
Thank you for your opinion.
Find out how Wyeth Nutrition products are able to provide your child with the right nutrition, as well as our specially formulated supplement for pregnant and lactating mothers.Check our Products