Boost Your Child's Learning Abilities
Child development is a process that involves learning and mastering skills like sitting, walking, talking, skipping, and tying shoeslacess. As parents, we all want our children to succeed and be the best they can be.
Learning skills aren't necessarily acquired naturally. For this reason, parents play a major role in helping their children develop basic learning skills.
- Interact. By talking, singing, playing, eating, and reading with your child, he/she will grow up feeling special and important to you. You will also learn a lot about your child's interests and skills.
- Read, read, read. Research has shown that children who are read to by their parents have a larger vocabulary than other children.* Reading also provides children with new perspectives about the world we live in.
Ref:*http://gse.berkeley.edu/faculty/aecunningham/Readingcanmakeyousmarter!.pdf; accessed on 28 Feb 2012
- Determine your children's learning styles. Your child's learning style is as unique as their fingerprints. Kinesthetic learners learn most effectively through direct experience. Auditory learners prefer to listen to information given orally and process the information by repeating it aloud. Visual learners process information best by picturing things in their minds and developing mental images. Encourage their natural learning styles but help them to develop the other styles as much as possible.
- Monitor and provide guidance. Encourage your child to do his/her own work. Do not give in to their requests that you do their homework. Do however, answer questions and provide suggestions.
- Make it relevant. Invite your child to talk about school on a daily basis. Look out for the good things your child does and provide positive support.
- Following directions. Give your child opportunities to do things and learn from his/her mistakes. This allows him/her to develop the skills and confidence, and also helps them to value learning.
Was this article helpful for you?
This article was helpful for 0 moms.
Thank you for your opinion.
Find out how Wyeth Nutrition products are able to provide your child with the right nutrition, as well as our specially formulated supplement for pregnant and lactating mothers.Check our Products